BRASS – Your money matters.
4th November 2020
BRASS is an exciting new financial wellbeing initiative.
It has been designed to help people maximise what money they do have, earning the most they can, spending and borrowing money in the most efficient ways, and reducing the risks and impacts that changes to financial circumstances can have.
Dalton Together are launching BRASS – a financial wellbeing initiative which will include activities, events, support and information for residents and partners under one umbrella (framework).
Background to BRASS:
BRASS has been brought back to life by the Dalton Together Partnership – Kirklees Council provided some communication/marketing funding (over 7 years ago) to the Kirklees Financial Inclusion Steering Group (then, a multi-agency body led by the community) who decided to use the funding to co-produce a financial inclusion framework/brand that could be used by any partner to ‘package’ their community financial inclusion information and support under. Dalton Together have seen the value of the framework and are now using the brand to drive forward their financial wellbeing priorities across the Dalton Ward.
What is BRASS?
BRASS stands for:
Making the most of earnings by understanding pay, benefits and other income.
Making sure your earnings add up by understanding other ways of maximising your income.
- BetterOff Kirklees – A service for people who live in Kirklees. BetterOff will show you the benefits you are entitled to and will help you apply for them online. BetterOff also provides information on how to find and apply for jobs.
- Kirklees Citizens Advice – Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Centre could help you save money on your energy bills with advice about switching energy tariffs and suppliers, fuel debt, benefit checks and application support. Tel: Freephone 0808 278 7896
- ICAFS Money Advice: Dalton & Newsome Ward Residents – Need FREE, confidential money advice. If you’re living in Dalton or Newsome wards and are aged 16+ (E.g. Universal Credit/Benefits, Housing Benefits, Household Heating Grants) and lots more. Download: ICAFS flyer.pdf
Saving for future goals such as Christmas, a holiday, new appliances.
Figure out a formula to save for the things that are important to you by monitoring money and controlling a savings account.
- Dalton Together Foodshare Pantry – Get a minimum £25.00 food shop for just £5.00 (£1 of this will go into a savings account for you).
Borrowing can enable essential purchases, but needs to be affordable and right.
Solve ways of borrowing the right amount of money that will allow you to make important purchases without getting into difficulty.
Be sure you are getting good value with everyday and big purchases.
Calculate your spending by bringing a budget into the equation and learning how to buy things of equal value for a fraction of the price.
- MoneyHelper – Part of the Money and Pension Scheme and is here to make your money and pension choices clearer. Open to everyone, MoneyHelper is helping people to clear their debts, reduce spending and make the most of their income. MoneyHelper can explain what you need to do and how you can do it. You can access information online or over the phone and face-to-face.
- SCOPE: Disability Energy Support – Free energy advice to disabled people, helping to manage energy needs including energy efficient, switching suppliers, changing your meter and energy debt.
- Safety In The Home Service – If you live in Kirklees and have a child under 2 years old you could be entitled to FREE home safety equipment supplied and fitted in your property, as well as been provided with home safety information and advice. Provided by the Yorkshire Children’s Centre a partner of Thriving Kirklees partnership, working with West Yorkshire Fire And Rescue Service.
- Affordable Warmth Leaflet 2021/22 – Ways to stay warm and be energy smart in winter. For more information visit: www.kirklees.gov.uk/warmerhomes
- Free Energy & Money Saving: Green Doctor service – Groundwork’s Green Doctor can help Kirklees households to stay warm, save money on bills and reduce carbon emissions. For more information visit: www.groundwork.org.uk/projects/green-doctor
- MoneyOnYourMind Resource by S2R – Find independent financial advice and mental health support that’s local to you.
Taking away risk in your financial situation, emergency saving and insurance.
Take away the risks surrounding finance by working out how much you’ve got and how to prepare for a money emergency.
- Dalton Together Christmas Magic Appeal – Avoid borrowing from loan sharks
If you would like to find out more please contact Dalton Together Team at email@example.com, you can download our what is BRASS flyer HERE
BRASS Support Card
Download Print Version of Card – BrassSupportCardPrint.pdf
Download Online Interactive Version of Card – BrassSupportCardInteractive.pdf
We have a BRASS (financial wellbeing)/sharing is caring (food) partnership group if you would like to join please contact: Cheryl.firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous BRASS webinar we held on the 15th September 2021
In case you missed our webinar, the slides are available to download here – DTBRASSWebinarSlides.pptx
BRASS – Loan Shark Christmas Support Card 2021
Download our Loan Shark Christmas Support card – BrassLoanSharkChristmasCard.Pdf
Combined BRASS and Caring is Sharing Food/Growing Action Plan
Find out what Dalton Together partners are doing across the ward, contact Cheryl.email@example.com for more information.
Download Partner Action Plan – BrassAndCaringIsSharingActionPlan.xlsx